Sunday, June 2, 2013

Yellow Cutout (DIY) Dress

This is my newest DIY and looking at these pictures there are a couple of things that are screaming out and saying please fix me!! I'm pretty good at picking out flaws on clothing sold at retailers and I'm the same way (or maybe even worse) when it comes to stuff I make. If you look at the hemline, it looks a bit uneven and I feel like the invisible hem isn't quite "invisible". The fabric was pretty hard to work with as it was very fluid & pliable (not sure if those are the right words to describe fabric) and moved around a lot. When doing the invisible hem, I should done a basting stitch before hand. I haven't quite mastered the invisible hem foot and have played with different settings. I feel like it's not completely invisible (see last 2 pic below and bottom right corner) and could see little dimples in the fabric where the thread catches the fabric. If anyone has advice on how to fix it, I'd love to hear it! Or am I expecting too much from my little starter sewing machine?
 
What I do love is that the dress is fully lined! It hides all the ugliness and makes the dress very comfortable to wear. It is very time consuming because you are essentially making another of the same dress, but I think it's really worth the extra effort especially when the fabric is see through (like it was in this case)! If you are interested in lining your own garment, please check out SPG's tutorial!
Wearing:
DIY Dress. (similar here, here & here)
F21 Necklace. (similar in style & in color)
Ann Taylor Pumps. (similar here, here & here)

10 comments:

  1. For just starting out, these results are still impressive. But it is smart of you to reflect and strive for better.

    Btw...love your shopping outfit from a few posts back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I always try to learn something new on each DIY project. When I look at the invisible hem done on a dress that was bought at a store, it really does look invisible. Its been bugging me that I haven't been able to achieve the same results or somewhere close to it.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great!! I haven't gotten past simple skirts yet on my machine. A higher quality machine does make things easier, but the technique is still a learning curve. I have a babylock brand machine - and it's worth the $$$. It's one of their lower models, but it really works well. I also bought a book from amazon that lists recommended threads, needles, & tensions for different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Caroline! that is super helpful advice. i really should get a book and read up on proper techniques since I'm just guessing and making stuff up as i go.

      Delete
  3. Hey,
    what an amazing dress!!! :) I love it!
    Kisses
    Tabea

    http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the yellow dress =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color and cutouts! Still incredibly awed by the skills that you've honed so quickly! I don't think I explained this well the first time, but my hemming process is a sweaty nightmare. I almost always get dimples, but they usually disappear after a good ironing.

    I've seen on other blogs that they iron the hem pre-sewing. That might help? I haven't tried bc I usually just iron everything after the garment is done. http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-how-to-sew-a-blind-hem

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis is amazing! I wanna borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this dress, especially with the cute necklace! Your blog is giving me inspiration for summer projects :)

    mivivere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this dress on you! Can we share? lol

    shortandsweetjoy

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!