Monday, May 6, 2013

Easy Hair Tutorial: Soft Waves

 Hi everyone! I have a very simple hair tutorial for you today that was requested by a reader who wanted to know how I curl my hair. This is one of my favorite ways to wear my hair because it's quick and simple and makes my hair look instantly "done"!
 
The before picture is what my hair looks like after I blow dry it. I like lots of volume because my hair is very heavy and can look flat at times. So normally when blow drying, I like to flip my head sideways or upside down. When I'm done blow drying, I will clip it up in a "poof" (like I have below) to create even more volume on the crown of my head. Let your hair stay clipped for about 15 minutes while the volume sets in, and you can do something else (like your makeup) during that time so you're not just sitting there waiting.
 
The Conair curling iron I'm using below is 1.25" in diameter. You can use smaller or bigger curling irons, it doesn't really matter and it's your personal preference. If you'd like to see what size waves other diameter curling irons produce, see this post for hair curled with .75" diameter & see this post for hair curled with 1.5" diameter.  I also prefer to wrap my hair around the curling iron opposed to using the clamp. Using the clamp will give you uniform curly ringlets instead of soft messy waves.
I have to say I have been using my cheapie Conair curling iron for years and it's as good as any expensive curling iron. A few months ago, I was at the mall and a SA at the kiosk suckered me into buying a $150 clamp-less curling iron. He really pressured me into buying the thing and I told him I'd buy it under one condition: if I can return it in case I didn't love it. Surprisingly he agreed to it even though they have a no return policy. I went home and played with my new clamp-less curling iron and actually noticed no difference between the expensive one and my cheapie Conair curling iron. I'm so glad I made the SA (might have been a manager?) agree to allowing me to return the curling iron or else I'd have wasted $150! So ladies, don't let those kiosk people play you for a fool.
Helpful tips
  • Grab 1-2 inch sections of hair and wrap around the curling iron in the direction away from the face (this is most important for hair around the face and bangs).
  • When holding handle, point tip of the iron towards the floor.
  • Wrap your hair in a graduated spiral so your hair doesn't overlap, allowing for even distribution of heat.
  • I leave my hair wound around the iron for about 10-15 seconds, but that is really up to you depending on the texture and thickness of your own hair.
I also don't use any type of heat protectant or styling products in my hair in case you're wondering. I like my hair to feel really clean and don't like products in it. I also feel like styling products weigh my hair down--even the ones that say weight less, non-greasy or oil free. Luckily, my hair will hold the curls throughout the day without hair spray.

This is what your hair should look like when you are done. If not, that is okay too. ;)
Let me know if you have any questions!
Wearing:
  J. Crew Featherweight Cotton Cardigans. Size XXS. Currently 30% off with code SUNSHINE
Free People Tiered Dress. (similar here)

17 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who clipped my hair up in a big poof after I shower since my friends all give me that weird stare, glad to know I'm not alone on this! I own a 1.5 from T3, it's a great curling iron I have to say, but I seem to be having trouble keeping my hair wavy. I mean, it looks nice when it's freshly curled, but give it an hour or two, and it's practically gone, only the ends remained curled. Do you have any good suggestions on how to hold curls?

    - Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine - your hair must be really healthy! My stylist always tell me that damaged hair hold curls better. if you have issues with your curls not lasting, i think a great alternative would be using hair rollers!

      Delete
    2. My stylist told me to curl my whole head (leaving the curls tight, so they set), spray hairspray as I go, and then tousle gently w/ my fingers to seperate the tightness of the curls. Then finish w/ another round of hairspray. If you don't set the curls by letting them cool, they will fall out much sooner.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous hair! Thanks for the clip tip. Now that my hair is growing out more, I am noticing it has less volume. And I will also try blow drying with my head tilted/upside down next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reader is me! You're so sweet...thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Great tips! I'll definitely work on it. You have naturally gorgeous hair! Can you also share what product you put on before & after you blowdry & curl it? Again, thank you!

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, pardon me...you already mentioned that you don't like putting on hair products :p... Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very helpful tutorial! Your hair is very pretty and shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so cute. I love checking in on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial, Ping! Now my hair is getting longer, I can do more with it. What kind of lipstick you're wearing here? It's so pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney! I am wearing bobbi brown pale pink lipstick with revlon super lustrous gloss in pink pop (recommended by jean).

      Delete
  8. Your hair looks so shiny and beautiful.. You definitely belong in some sort of Pantene ad!

    http://www.xjole.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the tips! i also have really heavy hair that goes limp before the end of the day. i'm going to try leaving it clipped up for 15 minutes to see if that helps my hair =)

    Maggie
    lovestylehappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I curled my hair today using your technique. Came out gorgeous but my arms hurt like crazy! Any helpful hints?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way your hair curl, very natural look

    ReplyDelete
  12. What curling iron do you use? your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this tutorial! I am hopeless when it comes to styling my hair. lol You make it look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!