Sunday, April 14, 2013

DIY Lilac Sheath Dress

The first time I met SewPetiteGal, I remember having so many sewing questions for her. She was incredibly knowledgeable and explained everything to me in layman's terms. What really stuck in my mind was her mention of princess seams. She said they were very flattering and made a garment fit very close to the body. Ever since then, I knew I wanted to make a sheath dress with princess seams
I'm sure there is a mathematical or analytical formula for creating princess seams, but I kind of just made up my own version. See the below picture of the panels I created for the front & back of the dress. The sole reason I don't do tutorials is because I don't follow conventional sewing methods and I'm sure my techniques are very unorthodox, and I would hate to lead my readers astray. But if you are looking for sewing tutorials, please visit SewPetiteGal's blog! I refer to her blog all the time for all my sewing questions.
 Ever since I started doing DIYs, I've been wanting to incorporate color into my projects. I'm normally a neutral kind of girl, but there's something so fun about working with colors. The fabric I'm using here is a silk wool blend. Besides the beautiful color, I love the texture of the fabric as well. It's very smooth, but also has a good weight to the fabric and prevents any under garments from peaking through. It is definitely a material that is great for sheath dresses or for suiting pieces.
Wearing:
DIY Lilac Sheath. Similar here & here.
J. Crew Cardigan. Similar here.
Forever21 Bib Necklace. I am in love with this statement necklace. It will surely make any outfit pop!
Franco Sarto Sandals. (similar here & here)
 
I wore this dress (below) to go shopping in this weekend. I paired it with wedges and a denim jacket for a more casual look.
During my shopping trip, I discovered all these new yellow bags that Coach just released.
I love love love this Coach Saffiano Leather Mini Satchel (comes in 5 other colors)! The color is vibrant and beautiful and would be great for any spring or summer outfit. It is also the perfect size for someone my height and priced VERY reasonably!

34 comments:

  1. Great outfit, I like the color.

    http://beautepoet.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lilac color is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sewing skills are getting better and better, Ping! I am very impressed. Lilac is such a pretty color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap Ping, I'm continually floored by your talent! The only things I self-pattern are skirts and tops. Definitely not princess-seamed dresses! Looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are very talented. Beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty dress! I would love to be able to make something like that. All I can manage are adjustments. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So good!! Fits perfectly!! Now I really want a sewing machine!! katejones.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore this dress! Amazing fit and color!! You are turning into quite the seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The the next occasion Someone said a weblog, Hopefully it doesnt disappoint me just as much as this place. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is a lot of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy in search of attention. SEO Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of your website. I recently built mine and I was looking for some design ideas and you gave me a few. May I ask you whether you developed the website by youself? search engine optimization

    ReplyDelete
  11. too much vitamin-a can also cause osteoporosis but aging is the number cause of it. wholesale computers

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife and i ended up being very joyful when Chris could finish up his investigation through the ideas he obtained using your site. It is now and again perplexing to simply continually be giving away solutions which others could have been selling. And we also do know we have got the blog owner to thank for this. All the explanations you have made, the straightforward site menu, the relationships you will help to engender – it is most terrific, and it’s aiding our son in addition to us imagine that that subject is exciting, which is certainly unbelievably essential. Thanks for all! Prabook profiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this info presented and possesses given me some type of resolve forpersistance to succeed i really enjoy seeing, so sustain the excellent work. Yahoo Finance

    ReplyDelete
  14. anybody know a diff website where i can watch the finale cuz its not working for me on this one افضل تطبيق توصيل طلبات

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I just say what relief to discover one who in fact knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You actually understand how to bring a concern to light making it essential. Lots more people ought to check this out and understand why side of your story. I cant think youre no more well-liked since you certainly contain the gift. We Sell & Ship Birds

    ReplyDelete
  16. An fascinating dialogue is value comment. I think that you should write more on this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but typically people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers how to increase youtube views

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!