Sunday, November 20, 2011

J. Crew Double-cloth Lady day Coat & Metro Coat

Hi Ladies! It's been a busy weekend for me. I'm in the midst of moving and getting my apartment together. Can you tell from the pictures. it's a new background! LOL. So this is going to be a (kinda) short review because I don't have internet set up yet (and oh how much I miss the internet!). But thank god for the Starbuck across the street for free wi-fi!

It was a tough choice deciding between the Double-cloth Lady Day coat and the Double-cloth Metro Coat. The quality of both coats are fantastic with lining inside and reinforced buttons.

Here are the side by side pictures of both coats.
(On the left) J. Crew Petite double-cloth lady day coat with Thinsulate. 00P. Color hthr majestic. $234.75 after 25% discount.
(On the right) J. Crew Petite double-cloth metro coat with Thinsulate. 00P. Color hthr caramel. $238.50 after 25% discount.

The fit of both coats are very similar with the exception of the Metro Coat being a tad wider in the waist and the sleeves being a smidgen shorter. I feel that both coats are roomier in the torso as compared to the sleeves. The sleeves are fitted throughout and can probably accommodate a long sleeve blouse & cardigan or just a chunky sweater alone. Anything more than that would look bulkier in the arm area. On the other hand, the torso area of both coats can accommodate a long sleeve blouse, a cardigan and a chunky vest. If both coats' sleeves were a little looser or the torsos were a bit tighter, I think it would make the coat more proportionate. I hope that makes sense.

Measurements for:
J. Crew Double-cloth Lady Day Coat (with Thinsulate) (00P):
Shoulders 13"/Sleeves 21.25"/Bust 16"/Waist 13.5"/Length 34.5"

J. Crew Double-cloth Metro Coat (with Thinsulate) (00P):
Shoulders 13"/Sleeves 21"/Bust 16"/Waist 14.5"/Length 34.5"

Another comment I wanted to make is that although the coats are embedded with thinsulate, I still don't think it's warm enough. I think it's fine for 50 degree SF winter weather. If I lived in an area that snows (like 30 degree weather or lower), I honestly don't think this coat will be warm enough.

So which coat did I keep??

I decided to keep the J. Crew Petite double-cloth lady day coat with Thinsulate because of the slimmer waist and the longer sleeves. I also thought the color was just beautiful and I currently don't have anything like it in my closet. If the Metro coat goes on sale more, I might consider picking it up again.
Also check out a number of reviews of Lady Day Coat (from 2010) on Alternations Needed Forum.

45 comments:

  1. Both coats look fantastic on you, Ping. So picking either one would be a winner. Good luck on settling down in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick! That would have been my choice as well! I love the slimmer waist and the color. Absolutely perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both coats look wonderfully classic! Thanks for the review! I was wondering about the quality of the Thinsulate technology. I guess it won't make it through winter...


    http://www.petitetherapy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color that you chose!! You look great! I am excited to see you style this more!

    Hope the move went well!! I am so jealous of your floor-to-ceiling windows! I want to get out of Vegas so bad!! So bad!! Our goal is within the next year or two. I hope!!

    Thanks for the review! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, so many pics! I like the back view of the metro coat, but wider waist and shorter sleeves? Eek. THe blue color is beautiful on you. I'm laughing that you don't think the coat w/ thinsulate is enough for SF weather. I wore mine all through last winter in 20 deg or below weather and am still alive : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both colours look lovely on you! I still feel that the sleeves on this are a little short (for my own liking), but if you are comfortable with that length, then I'm all for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue is so striking - I totally agree with your choice! Disappointed to hear that the Thinsulate doesn't make it very warm though. Living in Ohio, we get considerable snow and a good, warm coat is a must though I admit, I consider more how it looks than how warm it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the blue coat on you, it's a much more fun colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lady day coat for sure! The waist is noticeably smaller even without comparing the measurements and truly gives you a defined figure whereas the metro still looks big and wide on you. Plus, the blue color is gorgeous! If you aren't completely in love with it, you *might* be able to catch it on further sale (like ~$130 before tax) if this year's sales go anything like last year's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue is such an amazing colour. I could never survive a Canadian winter in such a thin jacket. I'm usually shivering with 3 layers and a parka!

    http://xjole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your pick, because is more figure flattering, with an "A" line sort of cut. The metro is nice, but it's ruler straight, I personally like coats, that make you look like you have a small waist versus ones that make you look like a ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both are lovely. I like the pocket details on the camel version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yay I was hoping you would pick the blue one, it looks amazing on you! Thanks for the comparison. Good luck with your move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. great choice!! i love that fit on you, so flattering!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree - based on the side view, the Lady day coat looks like a better fit. Also love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohh nice! well blue is more of a statement coat whereas the beige is a classic... i think I remember you having a long beige coat already in your previous post? anyways if you do then go for the blue! either one looks good on you though love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choice! I love the blue one on you the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blue ldc looks great on you. Do you think that the white/cream color is a good choice? I'm afraid that it may get dirty too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ anon -- i wouldn't recommend it because i tend to stain white coats i have. i also feel that white/cream coats tend to get a yellow-ish tint over time...
    but they are beautiful when they are new...if you can take care of a high maintenance coat, then i say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the advice. I've been admiring the Ldc for a while now and just waiting to take the plunge. I wished that it came in a camel color. Your photos were very helpful, I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The lady day coat is beautiful on you. I have both the lady day coat in a size 10 which doesn't fit anymore in the waist (middle button) and the new Metro coat in size 12. Both are beautiful coats but if your not a petite size 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 your better off with the Metro coat as it more forgiving in the waist area.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg loooove both of these coats on you! Good job keeping the cobalt blue one though...one of my fave colors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you made the right choice, albeit you look smashing in the metro coat as well! Just does seem like the fit of the Lady Day Coat was indeed more flattering. I also think the pockets on the Lady Day coat a touch to high in placement..but seems lately everyone is cutting with a higher waist line, etc. (wish they weren't).

    ReplyDelete
  24. ...but yet the placement of the Lady Coat waistline is flattering...I guess rather it is just the pockets on the metro coat should be lower in contrast to the waist line. Sorry...realize I did not finish my thought above...but have noticed higher waist lines in almost all fashion cuts lately....but pockets still should be where one can rest hands /keep them warm comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a helpful post-thank you! Was just trying to decide between the coats today- seeing them on you and getting the exact proportions helped me make my choice. I need longer sleeves, plus I'm not crazy about the placement of the pockets on the Metro coat, so the Day coat will be my choice too. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great pick! I would have picked that one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I live in NYC and have the lady day coat. I just wear two cashmere sweaters and silk longjohns when it's cold. I don't think you can find a coat that is both warm and tailored without spending $$$ on cashmere.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have performed a great job on this article. It’s very precise and highly qualitative. You have even managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much linen dress

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the color that you chose!! You look great! I am excited to see you style this more! Snoop Dogg Jacket

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!