Thursday, September 13, 2012

Aritzia T.Babaton Bromley Military Coat Re-purchased

If this coat looks familiar, it's because I bought it last year and then returned it. The reason was the sleeves were too long (see camel color below for original sleeve length). What's different this year? Well, I found me a good and inexpensive tailor who (I have been using for almost a year) shortened the sleeves and moved up the tabs for only $20!


I stopped by Artizia a few weeks ago and saw this coat. I couldn't help myself and tried it on. I probably stood in front of their mirror for a good 20 mins contemplating about the price ($350) + alteration cost. I decided to put the coat back and think about it some more while shopping. I stopped by the store again on the same day and decided to give it another try. I'm a regular at Aritzia so the SAs there already know I'm nuts. I left the store that day without buying the coat.
Well I couldn't stop thinking about the coat and decided to go back the next weekend to purchase it!
 This coat is made of virgin wool and also beautifully lined. It is so warm and heavy which I love. I've been looking for heavy coat for the longest time and this one fits the bill. If I had to compare this coat's fit (size XXS) to another coat, I'd say it is very similar to the J. Crew Petite double-cloth lady day coat (00P) (my review from last year) except this coat has longer sleeves.
This coat is also so much warmer than the J. Crew Petite double-cloth lady day coat with thinsulate. I wore my lady day coat last winter and I felt it did not really keep me that warm. I know SF is not known for it's cold winter, but the breeze from the bay and ocean can be so chilly!
Below is the what I purchased last year and returned. As you can see the sleeves were super long. 
I normally don't contemplate for so long when purchasing an item. I only do it at Aritzia because they have a 10 day return policy. They also hassle and ask you a whole bunch of questions when you do return something which is super annoying.
 If you purchase anything on sale, I believe it is final sale! Before you make an expensive purchase from them and are unsure about it, ask them about their policy. They can be somewhat unforgiving unlike other retailers! 
I'm not sure if this policy is same in Canada? 
If there are any Canadian readers who shop at Aritzia, please do share.

14 comments:

  1. Whoa! That return policy would be very annoying!

    The fact that you could not stop thinking about the coat was a good sign that the purchase would be worth it to you. :) And so glad you could get such inexpensive alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 days? I haven't returned anything at Aritzia in a long time, but I remember it being 30 days. Also yes, sale items are final sale but they always tell you first. And final sale as in, no you can't even get a credit. I tried once. Super annoying. Not sure what the difference is, but whatever. The coat looks great on you though. My Aritzia coats always lasts years and years. I have a short parka in a bomber style from 2004 that still looks new and I wore it constantly for four years. Probably the warmest jacket I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bought something once on sale and didn't really think too much about it. I brought it back and wanted to return it. They told me anything purchased on sale is final sale.they didn't tell me this when i was buying it. i told them that and they said they allow me to exchange for something else this once. so lession learn and that is why i think about everything very carefully before i make a purchase at that store.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the same policy applies to Canadian Aritzia locations and it is very annoying! I really wish they had a better return policy =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the exact same coat at the end of the season last year..What a coincidence I also got the sleeves shortened and moved the button tab..mine is also a size XXS. Must admit I am a little disappointed that they keep bringing out the same exact coat..too may duplicates in the city of Vancouver!!.
    I don't mind the 10 day return policy on regular items..I have had all good experiences even with returns. The sales manager has even ordered a leather jacket on sale from another store for me to try and stated on my receipt that when it arrived and I did not like it I could get a full refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they bring back the same stuff year after year! i have noticed that too.
      it's kinda good and bad because if you missed out the year before, you get to purchase it. but if you already have a lot of their stuff then i can understand that it totally sucks!

      Delete
  5. Much better fit! So cute!! katejones.me

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coat looks great on you, Ping! I am glad you found an inexpensive tailor near by. Definitely can't beat a $20 charge for that kind of alterations. Congrats on finding the perfect coat! I know it could be a tough task. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good tailor (and reasonably cheap) is so important right? I love this coat on you. You must commute, Ping, 'cuz I have the non-thinsulate version of the JCrew coat and I think it's plenty warm for New England. I'd die in a jacket warmer than that. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get cold very easily!! It's different in SF. It gets really really windy in the winter and the wind really cuts into your skin. It's a different cold than Boston. My friend Karen wore my J Crew lady day coat and didn't think it was that warm either. You must be used to the cold since you live in Boston.

      Delete
  8. Love love love this coat on you!! Glad we convinced you to get it finally! haha Now I need to hunt for a new, warm peacoat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aritzia return policy totally sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, could you tell me the tailor you're using? I'm looking for a tailor to take in my coat on the sleeves and the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand your feeling! I live in toronto and I've known this brand for quite some time. Although i like some of their stuff but unfortunately i no longer shop there due to their horrible customer service and return policy. They only discount $5.00 and mark the item as final sale hense no return. Also I've also noticed their quality is going downhill and sooner or later they will loose their customers.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!