Sunday, January 29, 2012

Size Up Please

The other day, I was in H&M's fitting room trying on some stuff. I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between a daughter and a mom. Here's how the conversation went:
Mom: I think you need to go up a size in those pants.
Daughter: No! I'm a size 4.
Mom: Well, lets give the 6 a try anyways.
Daughter: Why? Are you calling me fat?!?

At this point I couldn't help but step out of my fitting room to see if the mom was really right or just being uptight. After seeing the daughter in those pants, I was thinking to myself girl you need to listen to your mom because I can see panty lines and your muffin top.
What made me think of that story at H&M are these white jeggings I'm wearing. I remember buying them a couple of years ago at FP. I tried on the size 24 (my normal size) and thought to myself, damn these are hella tight even though I can fit into them. I really liked these jeggings and decided to try on the size 25. It felt and looked much better and since white pants are so unforgiving, I thought it would only be smart to size up. I think a lot of people are stuck on the number. What they don't realize is that it's okay to stray from your normal size. Every brand and retailer have their own sizing/fit so you're not going to be the same size across the board.
Outfit Details:
AT Petite Wrap Front Silk Print Top. Size 00P. AT's current promo is 40% off sale items and this blouse is a sale item! No code needed.
I actually really like the material, the wrap front and the print of the shirt. The fit is tiny bit wide and could be a tad slimmer. That part doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me more is the hook & eye closures on the side and on the wrap front of the shirt (to keep the shirt from opening). Because the shirt is loose all over, it allows the eyes & hook closures to become undone very easily. The hook & eye closures are also very small and it's so time consuming to hook them all up and then to have to do it again when they get unhooked. Pain in the butt! Because of the construction flaw, I decided to return the top.
White Jeggings by Blank Denim. Size 25. (similar here & here)
Aritzia/Wilfred Boil Wool Blazer. Size 0. (similar here)
Nine West Rocha Pumps. Size 5 (runs half size too big).

14 comments:

  1. haha that's a funny story. that sounds like me to myself every time in the dressing room. i've pretty much given up pants-wise at h&m and reach for the bigger size to accomodate my thighs. good moral of the story!

    pandaphilia style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie-- I am the same way! My thighs are big too in proportion to the rest of my body. :(

      Delete
  2. What a great story!! haha :) people need to realize that it's the fit that counts, not the size. No one will ever know your size, but they'll see how well your clothes fit!

    I love those white jeggings. something new to add to my summer wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story. Sometimes moms are right.

    Lovely white jeggings. Your are petite, so white pants look good on you.

    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is funny. I think I should remember that and try on more sizes to see what actually looks best on.

    Ping, I found your blog through the other petite blogs and am loving it! Your outfits always look so chic and put together. This is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa-- thank you so much! your comment put a smile on my face :)

      Delete
  5. What a funny story! I completely agree with you…the most important thing is what looks best on and not the size. Sizing up white pants is definitely a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story Ping (and I loved that you had to step out to see for yourself...are we soul sisters or what?!!) Lol Totally with you on the sizing thing. There's no reason to get hooked on a number when a different size looks better for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahha i couldn't help it! when she said are you calling me fat?!? i had to see what was going on. it was quite the drama for something so insignificant. lol

      Delete
  7. hahahah so funny! Was it an Asian mom?? Those pants look greeeat on you...I only own one pair of white pants and I hardly ever wear em. =/ That top actually looks better in these pics than the one you sent to my phone. lol How annoying about those hook and eye closures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, white jean envy! I'd love to be able to pull of such a clean colour, but alas.. I'm a stain magnet.

    http://xjole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ping, I love how this outfit came together. Achromatic color schemes can be really refreshing.

    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!