Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Asos Tulip Dress With Waterfall Skirt [w/ Alteration]

When my bf saw this dress, he was horrified and said you look like a 50 year old school teacher. Scroll down to see the unaltered dress and I think you might agree with him. LOL. 
But I definitely saw potential in this dress and I think its much cuter with a mini length!
H&M Denim Jacket. Size 2. (similar here & here)
Coach pumps. (similar here)
LV speedy.
The Pros: The fabric of this dress is very lightweight and the dress is not form fitting so it's a very comfortable dress to wear [esp. for those warm spring/summer days and I'm crossing my fingers that we'll have those very soon]. I also like the ruffle coming down the skirt which adds a fun and flirty element to the dress. My favorite part of the dress are the polka dots!! I've been trying to find a similar polka dot print fabric, but haven't had much luck.
The Cons: On the model, the dress is a midi length so I already knew it was going to be super long on me. But in order to pull off this dress at the given length I think you'd have to be at least 5'6 or 5'7! On me, it's almost a maxi dress.
The armholes are also a tad too big for me and so is the chest area, but keep in mind (and I'm sure you can see) that I'm not very well endowed in that department. 

Before Alteration:
Measurements:
Shoulders: 13" | Chest: 16" | Waist: 12.5" | Hips: 17" | Length: 42"
I trimmed a whopping 14" off the length!!

Below is what I wore to dinner on a colder night.
J. Crew Lady Day Coat with Thinsulate. 00P
F21 Bag. (similar here)
F21 Booties. (similar here)

9 comments:

  1. OMG! It looks like such a cute trendy dress after your alterations! Great work!! katejones.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! The original dress looks like a maxi on you =) You did a great job altering it tho. I really like the print. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fabulous job with the alterations! It still has the shape and flow of the original, but the length is definitely more flattering.

    http://www.xjole.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job on the alterations! I love the ruffle detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing !!!
    how come u r so good at alteration ?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an amazing job with the alterations! The dress looks fabulous!

    xo
    http://xo-chiisakute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite dresses on you! Love that there are two sizes of dots. Love the ruffle. And love that color.

    Lol! at Tim's comment. I showed Jon what you did with the dress and he said to me jokingly "How come you can't do that?" :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just clicked over to your blog via a link @ Jean's blog - love what you've done w/ the dress! You and Jean are both such inspiration DIY-ers, I wish I knew how to sew and alter clothing - would save so much in alterations costs! :)

    L&F,
    KC

    www.lifeinpetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I just discovered your blog and love it! so I'm following you!, good luck! I hope you get your projects! many kisses, I leave my blog in case you want to follow me!
    http://siempremisspetula.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!