Saturday, March 9, 2013

DIY: Nude Inverted Pleat Skirt + 9 pairings

In my last post, I mentioned that I wanted to make a skirt that's as versatile as my nude patent leather pumps. I decided on the inverted pleat skirt inspired by this Alice + Olivia skirt. I've always had an infinity for pleated skirts because they're so feminine and I also love the movement of the pleats when you're in motion. 
The A+O version is much shorter in length and also with a hefty price tag. I do like the shorter length, but thought it would be better to make my version longer so its appropriate for all occasions. After finishing my skirt, I can also understand the hefty price tag as it does take up a lot of fabric to create the pleats and was also a very laborious process. My perception was that this was going to be an easy afternoon project, but boy was I wrong. However, I think it was time well spent and I love the finished product. I have worn this a couple of times already and have received compliments from a few strangers which made me feel really good.
To test out the versatility of this piece, I thought I'd pair it with a few things in my closet. ;)

For similar pleated skirts: here & here.
Top Row:  
H&M Blazer | AT Placket Blouse | LV Palermo PM| TB Pumps (similar here & here)
J. Crew Naomi Shell | J. Crew Cardi (similar here & here) | MK tote | AT pump (similar here & here)
H&M Denim Shirt (similar here & here) | F21 Crossbody (similar) | Nine West Sandals (similar)

Middle Row
Crew Cut Cardigan (similar here from J. Crew Factory)| H&M Blouse | AT pump (similar here & here) | F21 Crossbody (similar)
H&M Blazer (similar) | H&M Polka Shirt (similar)| Coach Factory Bag (similar) | Carlos Santana Slingbacks (similar

Bottom Row
H&M Denim Jacket (similar here & here) | BR stripe tank (similar) | Nine West Sandals (similar
Aritzia Coat (sleeves shortened) | H&M Blouse (similar) | F21 Necklace (similar here & here) | Coach Factory Bag (similar) | Stuart Weitzman 'Spectacle' Stretch Suede Boot
FP Jacket (similar here) | Asos Snood | LV Speedy |  TB Pumps (similar here & here)

 And here's a closer look at the inverted pleat skirt...
 I also finally got a twitter account! You can tweet me
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I LOVE it. What kind of fabric did you use, and what pattern? I'd love to try to make a skirt like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric is a cotton rayon blend. I'm not 100% sure. The texture of the fabric is like a very thick cotton t-shirt. In terms of pattern, I didn't use one. Mb y it took me so long to complete the skirt...

      Delete
  2. Love it! The outfits are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! My favorite pairings are with the leopard cardigan and black winter coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leopard cardigan pairing is my favorite too!

      Delete
  4. Wow!!

    You are so talented! I love the pairing with the denim shirt.
    I was at Aritzia today..and they have a few skirts with this type of pleat detailing. Yours is very nice!





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Good to know I'm on trend with Aritzia because I love their stuff!

      Delete
  5. Love this!! definitely using for outfit inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ping!

    Another awesome final product! Love the casual looks with this skirt...especially the chambray top and the jean jacket!

    Hope you have a nice week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I can totally see you rocking those 2 outfits.

      Delete
  7. Aside from the obvious great jobs on the skirt and pairings, I'm floored by your posing. I have 2 poses on repeat. Probably need to rethink that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I can't believe you made this! Awesome! :) And i also like how you showed all the different looks you could wear with it in a collage/grid format. It's such a clean look for a blog post. Love it! My faves were the ones you paired with the leopard cardy & the denim tops!

    www.theShopaholic247.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok now i'm on the hunt for a nude skirt. yu're such a trend setter

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!