Sunday, March 24, 2013

DIY: B&W Striped Dress

When I saw this b&w striped fabric, I knew I had to have it. I wasn't sure what I was going to make with it, but decided to take it home anyway. As most of you might know, I'm a beginner at sewing and have no knowledge about fabrics and their characteristics. I will buy anything that catches my eye which is a mistake (for a beginner)! I'm not 100% sure if I'm describing the fabric correctly, but it is a very light weight cotton material with no stretch to it. It has a smooth slippery texture which moves around when you try to cut it. The edges also fray like crazy which drove me nuts. You also have to be precise with your measurements when working with a fabric that does not stretch. I had to take apart the bodice quite a few times due that I didn't leave enough seam allowance for the sides and invisible zipper.
  SPG recently posted this really helpful article on fabric selection and too bad I didn't have this with me before I bought a whole bunch of fabric during my last shopping trip.

Below, I have created a fit and flare dress with box pleats & inseam pockets! Hope you enjoy it! 
  
 
DIY dress. (similar here, here & here)
H&M Blazer. Size 2. (similar here)
Circa Joan & David Sandals. (similar here)
Banana Republic Belt. Size XS. Had extra hole punched to fit the waist. Wish I didn't listen to the reviews and bought the XXS instead.

On another note, I just placed an order for the BP. Trolley Ankle Boot  at Nordstrom. I think these might have filled my void for casual boots. I initially wanted the gray leather, but cognac leather looked better against my pale legs. Although the reviews say the booties run small, I thought the size 5.5 (my normal size) felt big so I had the SA order a size 5 for me. I'll let you know about the fit when I get them!

16 comments:

  1. Another lovely creation. Black and white stripes are probably my favorite.

    xo
    http://xo-chiisakute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, you are born to sew! Another jaw-dropping creation! The graduations of the stripes and fit looks better than any stripe dresses I've seen at the store lately. I want a dress just like yours now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress. Am a beginner too but I buy whatever fabric I like as I believe one day I will be experienced enough to sew with it, if am too scared too at the moment hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very chic! Love the fabric you used and the adorable pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this dress is adorable! good job!
    ***
    http://annrobie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, Ping! Your sewing skills keep getting better and better. Can't believe you started sewing not too long ago. I absolutely love the dress. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This is amazing! It looks so good!! I've been eyeing the Celina Dress at Kate Spade, but this one that you made is SOOOOOOO much cuter!! http://www.katespade.com/celina-dress/NJMU2302,en_US,pd.html?dwvar_NJMU2302_color=412 Great work! You should consider doing tutorials! :) katejones.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pretty dress. Because you are so tiny, the stripes look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shape of the dress! I think the armholes look a little disproportionate to the neckline, but the best part of DIY is tailoring it to your specific preference. The pattern you chose looks fantastic.

    http://www.xjole.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you did such a great job! The shape is perfect.
    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dress and excellent sewing skills! It looks store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is amazing! nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you did a great job. I really need to take a sewing class. I just got a dress similar to this, but with a pop of blue from Target. http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-women-s-stripe-sleeveless-dress-white-black/-/A-14348148#prodSlot=medium_3_3&term=mossimo+dress

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you sure the fabric isn't silk? It sounds like

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice dress! I think it would look great with this handbag

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!