Sunday, May 19, 2013

Makeup Tutorial: Part 3 (Eyes + Lips)

  • 1) Prime lids with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. My eyelids are really oily and this primer helps my shadow stay put all day!
  • 2) Using a blending brush, I softly apply a shimmer shadow all over my eyelids and pass my crease. The shadow I'm using is called Onyx by Bobbi Brown (no longer available), but a similar color is fawn.
  • 3) Apply shadow that is fewer shades darker on the lower eyelids using a eyeshadow brush. The color I used is called Midnight by Bobbi Brown (no longer available), but a similar color is velvet plum.
  • 4) Blend the shadow lines together (using blending brush or smudge brush) until it diffuses and become gradated. If your shadows don't blend together, dip your brush back into the lighter eyeshadow (from step 2) and go over the area a few times where the 2 shadow overlaps.
  • Helpful tip:If you have puffy eye lids (aka hooded eyelids) like me, pick darker eye shadows. Keep in mind that darker shadows will make the eyelid recede and bright/frosty shadows will deflect light and make the eyelid appear puffier. I'm also not a fan of most pinky/reddish shadows because it can give the illusion of pink eye or tired eyes.  
Like I mentioned before, I have really oily eyelids. I have experimented with numerous liners and most would fade, smear or transfer under my eyes, but the one that smears or transfers the least is Bobbi Brown Gel liner. It will stay on until you take it off with a waterproof makeup remover (I use Lancome Bi-facil).
  • Apply the black gel liner using the ultra fine liner brush. Start from the (1) inner corner of the eyes and extend a line to the (2) outer corner. If you have shaky hands and can't draw one straight line, you can draw little lines (line I have in the illustration) and then connect them all.
  • To wing your liner : From the (2) outer corner, draw a small line at a 35 degree angle. Connect the tip of that 35 degree line (3) back to your liner (4).  
  • Helpful tip: The key to getting your liner to look "natural" is to draw the line as close to your lash-line as possible. If you have issues doing that, simply lift up your eyelid up (like I have in the illustration) and fill in the "blank" area. 
  • Lining the lower lash line is a judgement call. Some say that it makes their eyes appear small, but I think it important for me to line my lower lash line because I have hooded eyes. As you can see below that once I open my eyes, my top liner disappears quite a bit.
 
Lashes are optional, but I always like them for special events, date nights or anytime I'm taking pictures. I feel like they really open up the eyes and make them appear bigger. The lashes I'm wearing are Ardell Demi #101 and I like these a lot because the band of the lashes fit my eyes and I don't have to shorten them like other lashes. I apply my lashes with a tweezer because my hands are too clumsy. After my faux lashes are securely glued on, I will curl my own lashes and the faux lashes together so they are flipping in the same direction. 
 Wearing: Bobbi Brown Pale Pink Lipstick & Revlon Super Lustrous Gloss in pink pop (recommended by Jean)
I always like to keep my lip color pretty light and natural since my eye makeup is on the heavier side.
If you are wear a dramatic lip color, then go easy with the eye makeup. A helpful tint is to keep your lip color similar to your cheek color. They don't need to match exactly, but if you're wearing a coral blush then stay with a coral lip or else you will have too many colors competing against each other on your face. I also skip lip liner because my lips are pretty full and do not have to emphasize them any more.

This is the final post to my makeup tutorial. I hope you have found the tips to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions. Also remember everyone has different features, skin type and coloring and the products/suggestions I mentioned have worked well for me and may not be for everyone.

Also check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Although sometimes I don't reply, I do read all your comments! If you have a question that you'd like answered, please email me instead. Thanks!